Monday, February 21, 2011

Kitchen Section 2 COMPLETE;)

This is what I started with, but I didn't get a picture of the two additional drawers under the stove before I started. Notice the stock cabinet that doesn't match the other cabinets and the toe kick/corner round that doesn't even go in front of the cabinet. I assume that there was a trash compactor at some point, due to the fact that there was an electrical outlet behind the cabinet. I capped it before reinstalling the new shelf cabinet. Even thought you can't see the stain or lack there of, just take my word for it they looked terrible!



Finished section;) Well I know what I think but what about you? I replaced the toe kick around all the cabinets that I had finished and extended the corner round to include my revamped cabinet. Added some baskets on clearance from Pier One and Bobs your uncle another section complete. How I made the shelf from the existing cabinet was I carefully snipped the staple on each side of the inside of the frame. Then used a Japanese saw (for fine cuts or thin spaces) to cut the dowel from each side. The cabinet already had the holes for adjustable shelving so I got some heavy duty shelf holders to help hold my new shelf. (which I made out of 3/4" plywood with an oak veneer)

 Now here is the coolest gadget that I bought to help hold my cabinet doors while I stained them. The wooden dowels that are included lift the door or drawer off your surface so that you don't get any of that dripping on the under side on the door. BUT if you use too much stain you will still get drips! (just check before you walk away that you wipe them up for a professional look) I bought mine from the link below, probably could have gotten them cheaper somewhere else. (maybe?) Check out the link below to see more info about these . (I don't get paid for sending you to this site, just trying to share what worked for me;)


http://woodworker.com/wolf-bench-paws-mssu-157-877.asp?search=wolf&searchmode=2  

If you have any questions on how I did something OR what I used just comment below or shoot me an email;) The only way to learn is to ask and maybe just maybe you won't make the same mistakes that I DID! OH yea and if you have helpful hints please let me know that too! 
Have a wonderful day!

1 comment: