Friday, February 25, 2011

Who doesn't love Martha?

Well are you one of those who can't stand Martha? Come on be honest, really all those perfect meals, house to die for and don't even mention the gardens to me! I am here to admit it once and for all~ I love Martha! There it's out there for all the world to see, and I feel much better now that it is out there!

Please don't get me wrong, can I cook like her? HELL NO! Maybe my food dishes (that I have tried) tastes close to the way hers tastes BUT they never look like hers! Who cares right? My family will eat it all the same, while I am wondering why it wasn't even recognizable to the picture in the magazine! I followed her instructions to the letter, or did I put something in too soon?

And even though her house is beautiful (yes I LOVE HER KITCHEN AND CRAFT ROOM), I couldn't afford the up keep;) My dear Grandma Simmons once told me" I used to not like her but I watched her doing some craft project and they were pretty." Now if Grandma says it then it is true! I also tried several (maybe hundreds~ I can't lie here) of her crafts and most cost me a pretty penny to make but they were worth it! I made homemade bath salts, bath oils, scented candles and lavender neck pillows one year for my entire family! It was wonderful feeling knowing that I had made them, and when my grandma passed in December her candle was still sitting on her shelf she had never used it. I had asked her why at one point ( a year or so earlier) and she because she didn't want to mess it up!

Now the most important reason I love Martha! HER GARDENS! I loved watching her make new beds and her (ok her employees did most of it I am sure) putting in veggie gardens. I am amazed that her house (Turkey Hill) is only 2 or so acres, and that it looks like so much more!  I dream that someday I will have a couple of acres to make into a garden of my dreams and I will be using her along with my Grandma Simmons as inspiration;)

Here are a couple of links to Martha's Turkey Hill home and gardens that I look at from time to time!

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/remembering-turkey-hill
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/marthas-memories-of-turkey-hill#slide_6

Now don't be surprised if you find yourself liking Martha a little more after viewing what she did to make her gardens!

4 comments:

  1. I used to have a sign that hung outside on our porch that said "Martha doesn't live here." That should tell you everything you ever need to know about my crafty/housekeeping/gardening skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike Martha Stewart's advice, because it assumes people are not creative. A craft where you literally cut out a printed design and tape two ends together? All her materials are like this: cooking, gardening, decorating... This may be a first step toward do-it-yourself for a VERY timid person, but I doubt even that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MariaD~ I agree that she does indeed have some crafting projects for the novice crafter but I have done some that required me to work hard at it;) Sorry but I disagree with the gardening tips comment, most of the info is stuff I already know but a lot of people don't. She did one on getting heirloom tomato seeds from your tomatoes and I found it very informative;)Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. topsy-techie~ you are so funny Martha has nothing on you and I am sure that everyone who knows you feels the same way!

    ReplyDelete