Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homeschooling Day Camp

Boys with Gumby at the Piedmont Nature Center

When someone talks about the pros and cons of homeschooling, I can always say the pros out weigh the cons!

Take this day of learning at the Piedmont Nature Center Homeschooling Day Camp, this wonderful place gave us homeschoolers a free day of learning at their awesome facility. I also got to be on the ground floor of their desire to create a program geared towards homeschoolers. The boys had a great time learning all about how to make a fire, herbs/plants that are safe to eat, tracking animals, playing great games with others without it being too competitive( a good thing in our house!). The parents,kids and counselors sat down at the end of the day in a sharing circle, where we went around and said what we were thankful for.... Anthony was thankful for being able to wash his hands after touching poison ivy, Alex was thankful learning to build a shelter and tracking and I was thankful for the opportunity that this amazing place offered us for free!! At the end of the day we were able to try some pine needle tea, which has an unique taste and chewing on the pine needles gives you some Vitamin C. Two things that we had never tasted before or knew were edible.

This is just one day that makes homeschooling the most incredible experience for the boys and myself. I am learning right along with them. So what did you learn with your kids today??


3 comments:

  1. We go to our local nature center all the time. I have the five-year-old enrolled in all their homeschool classes and a bi-weekly after school class titled "knee-high naturalists." All these courses are so reasonably priced too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the people who work there, especially the woman who teaches knee-high. She once sat with my son for twenty extra minutes because he wanted to see a snake they had back in the office and talk about it with her. If I had a lot of money, I would donate heavily to the Sandy Creek Nature Center!!!!! Three cheers for nature centers and the folks who work there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pine needle tea??? That's truly a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree mamaofletters!! WE love the nature centers around here! We had done all the programs heavily that first year and then we kinda of just stopped. I would take us to the parks/nature centers and we would try to come up with things that interested the boys. I am thinking for the summer months (which are our lighter months of schooling of signing the boys up for their camps)
    Kerry~ yes pine needle tea now when you are out on a hike you can replenish your Vitamin C!! LOL it had an interesting taste to it, not bad but not my fav kind of tea!

    ReplyDelete