Here is the definition from Dictionary.com....
Main Entry: unschooling
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a home-school education with the child taking primary responsibility instead of a parent or teacher; also called child-directed learning, self-learning
Example: Under unschooling education, parents may act as "faciltators" and may provide a wide-range of resources to their children.
Usage: also unschooler(n)
There now did that clear anything up for you? Maybe?? Well I first starting homeschooling, if you had asked me if I was going to unschool my boys I would have said." NO!" And here is why, I was raised going to a little public school throughout my education career. Fast forward to sending my little 5 year old to kindergarten on the bus (of course that was the only time HE ever went on one, not a good mix for my little guy) I was so nervous for him. After about a week , I started volunteering in his class almost every morning with my newborn strapped to my chest. All because I wanted to make sure that he was getting the attention that he needed. Once my youngest went to kindergarten I was at the school more than at home! Even then when I would see my boys struggle or get ignored by well meaning teachers with too many students in their classrooms but I was determined to make it work! Only when our neighborhood got rezoned the next year and we didn't get into the schools we applied for (and took the tour of the school they were sending us to) did I consider homeschooling. You would think that after that I would have known that the school system way of teaching wasn't working. Oldest son was behind (duh he was a visual learner) and youngest son was considered average in kindergarten and never pushed to do anything above and beyond what was required.
Jump forward to our first day of homeschooling, workbooks, text books, and tons of books of "how to" do this and that. Because I had done what any parent would do when thinking of taking on homeschooling their kids, I researched and researched only to be so confused that I stuck with what I had known! Six months later and three very unhappy campers , I finally shelved the workbooks/textbooks, etc. and started down a different homeschooling path for us all.
To me unschooling means, child led education, basically letting the child decide what their interests are and from there tailoring the lessons around that interest. But the term "unschooling" can mean different things to different families. Several families I know don't believe in workbooks, teaching their kids to read (at a certain age/grade), or using teaching aids like~ spelling printables or things of that nature. While others choose a classical approach with literature being the main source for all subjects. In fact, within the first six months of homeschooling; I used mostly books and took english, history, science, math and art lessons from a single book. The boys would love to hear me read aloud a story while they wrote in their journal, copied spelling words or drew in their sketch books. This ,of course, was after the phase that almost drove us all to the nut house which was trying to make a school room at home! We would get up early and be still working on school when my hubby would get home from work. Talk about your major stress for me and the boys!
We are still discovering our journey and it has its hiccups along the way BUT we are learning and discovering things that we otherwise wouldn't have been if we had stayed in school. I am one mom who is struggling to put the "un" into our school, because I believe that my boys will get more out of our homeschooling if I put them in charge of some of their education! Granted I can't totally let everything go, because that's just me!
Let me know what you think about unschooling, did it work for you? Can you make any suggestions? Please feel free to comment below!
Hey, Michelle!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you had a blog but was happy to see it! Thanks for the links you sent to me. I'm a blogger as well so I will be sure to bookmark your spot here and check it out often!
Thanks Jennifer! Glad that the links were helpful;) I am going to do a post about the wonderful class you gave Anthony and will link to your post as well. Love your blog as well!
ReplyDeleteI found you on secular homeschoolers. We have just begun unschooling, and so far I think it is great. I am still learning to get over my fears that the kids will "be behind", but that's my issue not theirs. They love it, and we are no longer stressed with lessons, and plans, and time constraints. When we first started homeschooling, we did the virtual charter school thing, but it felt too much like a job.
ReplyDeleteHello Kelly;) thanks for coming over from secular homeschoolers to say hi!I am always trying to get over my fears and let them let a little more control;) On days that I say go and learn what you want to the teenager goes to the computer and works on building games levels in the Unreal Engine and the little one goes and plays his guitar making up his own songs;)But atlas, we still need to get our spelling done;( thanks again for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteI think if the kids respond to what you are doing, you are doing the right thing for them. That could mean a completely formal schooling method, which I've seen with friends who pulled their children out of school as teens, or it could mean a complete lack of anything resembling school. That would be my youngest, who I consider aggressively unschooled. She learns on her own terms and no one else's. :o)
ReplyDeleteThe wonderful thing about homeschooling is discovering you don't have to work within a cookie cutter curriculum. You can customize for each child so they get the most out of what they do. That's what I've learned to do over almost 14 years of homeschooling.