Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Check off " Put Together a 4th grade Curriculum"

pic from blogs.dixcdn.com
For my youngest, I have decided to go with three different programs for his 4th grade year this coming July. Time4learning (our old favorite), Singapore Math(another oldie), and Moving Beyond the Page(new kid on the block) are the things I will using with him this next year. 

You might say that it is too much for one child to do in a year?? Well stop worrying silly... Time4learning is a program that will give him some online (do it by himself) time, which I will be needing for him since the oldest will be in ((GULP)) high school! A plus for me is that he doesn't think that it is really learning because it is cartoon based lessons;) I know he is learning though because I have seen both his math and reading skills go up this past year. I am using it mostly for an online reading program and a fun math lessons for him this next year. Then there is Singapore Math, he actually likes doing it and when it comes time to learn a new concept it has visual aid ideas for us to do together AND I can search out on Time4learning a lesson that goes along with the new concept as well.

Now for the newbie, I have always loved to teach through literature and even tried FIAR our first year. The boys loved it but I found it hard expand on the ideas that they gave in their instructional booklet. Fast forward to a couple months ago when I started hearing about a secular literature based program. It just tickled me... So I did my research on it and ask a lot of questions on my favorite secular site. After reading about everyone's take on it I took the plunge! The books are ones that I loved to read as a child and the activities are ones that once the big box came in the mail my youngest wanted to get started on it right away! I have also been hard at work planning out field trips for us to take once we get started on it.  SO all in all, we are ready to go, just waiting on a couple of craft projects that I added to the first unit study to make it a little more hands on for him!

Can you tell I am as excited as the boys are this year?? So many things to do in a day I am hoping that we will be able to get them all done!! But if not there is always tomorrow, the beautiful thing about homeschooling is you don't have to move on until you are ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment