I have gotten a lot of literature books that are fictional that have owls in them or a owl related theme. OHHH I could have gotten Harry Potter in there too, but with about 10 books on owls already I think that I will stop there;) No worries, I am sure that at some point I will do a literature study on works of fantasy, to include Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and what ever else we can work into the lessons. So I have given Alex the first book to start reading so that we can get them all read! I decided to start with a homeschool fictional story.
The story I picked is Skellig by David Almond, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have read the book for my Homeschool Literature site and I rather enjoyed it! Secondly, I have also made some lesson activities based on Skellig which I am going to have Alex start to use to get him ready for all the writing I am going to be throwing at him soon. And lastly, there is a movie that they made about this book, that follows the story pretty closely. I wanted him to start to see the differences between what he pictures in his mind while he is reading and what the director does with the same story. Then his first writing assignment is going to began!!
I am lucky enough to have a great friend, I will just called her CS, that has agreed to work with Alex over the summer to help him with his sentence writing skills. This is an area that I have tried to help him with over the last 3+ years and we have had some progress but not enough(in my opinion). He already had his first class with CS and he came home and told his dad that he really liked it! By the way, something he never has said about our writing class;( Well that's why, even though I homeschool, I know when to step back and have someone else take over.
My favorite quote for today is...
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed..." -Mark Twain (homeschooled after 5th grade)
Mark Twain (real name was Samuel Clemens) (1835-1910), American author and satirist who said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." Attended school through the 5th grade, where he "excelled only in spelling" and was frequently truant, then worked as a printer's apprentice for a local newspaper. His mother said, "He was always a great boy for history, and could never get tired of that kind of reading; but he hadn't any use for schoolhouses and text books. (from http://www.conservapedia.com/Homeschooling)
No comments:
Post a Comment